Scientists, engineers, and professionals from around the world come to PNNL to work together to help solve some of the nation’s greatest challenges.
PNNL cultivates a culture that acknowledges and rewards the innovation and discovery that drives our success. Opportunities abound to push yourself, explore new interests, and be part of the mission.
Our chemistry, Earth sciences, and data analytics capabilities distinguish our discovery science mission and drive the development of technologies to improve the nation’s energy resiliency and enhance national security. Our teams are creating catalysts, identifying the biomarkers of disease, and delivering new knowledge that may lead to novel energy sources and deepen our understanding of our planet and the cosmos.
We are delivering energy resiliency through expertise in the power grid, energy storage, energy efficiency, transportation, renewable energy, nuclear energy, and fossil energy. By developing advanced chemistries and materials for energy storage, and increasing energy efficiency in transportation, buildings, and industry, we are shaping the modern power grid of the future!
We advance science-based solutions for long-term U.S. missions in nuclear and radiological security. Our team is developing the science and technology to address cyber, chemical, biological, and nuclear threats. On the cyber front, we leverage expertise in data analytics and machine learning to develop tools to protect our nation’s critical infrastructure from cyberattacks.
Protected Ports & Borders
- Installed 1,300 radiation portal monitor systems to protect the nation from concealed nuclear materials.
Advanced Cancer Care
- Developed technology that provided targeted medical isotope “seeds” to cancer patients.
Purified the Environment
- Pioneered nanotechnology used for waste cleanup worldwide and for air purification in U.S. Navy submarines.
Protecting the Grid
- Leading cyberthreat information-sharing program for electric utilities that represent more than 75 percent of U.S. electricity customers.
Increased Airport Security
- Delivered underlying millimeter wave technology used to scan more than 100 million airport passengers worldwide for concealed threats.
Advanced Quantum Computing
- Invented a new 10 times faster quantum computer simulator, known as DM-SIM (density-matrix simulator).
Join Our Talent Community
Not ready to join? Let's stay in touch!